CSV Import – File Format
WordPress Plugin Staff List CSV Import – File Format.
Staff List CSV can read and import files containing any set of special characters as long as the file is in CSV format and properly encoded.
The plugin will generate errors if the file contains characters not supported by the encoding selected when exporting data to CSV.
CSV File Requirements
- Column names in the first row.
- Column delimiters: comma (,) semicolon (;) pipe (|) or tab (\t).
- Row delimiters: a line break (CRLF).
- Encoding: UTF8 if the file contains extended characters such as ä, è, ö, ü.
- BOM. No byte order mark (BOM) at the start of the file.
- If a field contains the column delimiter, then it must be escaped.
- Fields containing line breaks, double quotes, and commas should be enclosed in double-quotes.
- If double-quotes are used to enclose fields, then a double-quote appearing inside a field must be escaped by preceding it with another double quote.
CSV looks like a simple portable format from the outside, but its looks are deceiving. If the data is pure ASCII (bytes 0-127) you’ll be fine. For creating files containing non-ASCII characters we recommend LibreOffice Calc.
Libre Office. Save a CSV file as UTF-8.